Tuesday, November 12, 2013

KARVA CHAUTA

NAVNEET


         On the fourth day after the full moon Indian women participate in a one day ceremony known as Karva Chauta which is considered to be an "auspicious" occasion. They are required to fast from sunrise until moonrise at which time they pay tribute to their husbands by granting them longevity and safety.  On the day of the fast, women from Punjab awake to eat and drink just before sunrise. It is also a time for the ladies to dress up in their finest clothing, cover their exposed skin with gold adornments and decorate their hands with the ancient Indian art called Mehandi. As a witness to all of the events that took place, I can say firsthand that they were stunning in every detail. 

     
     
       Experts in the art of Mehandi apply a henna paste to the skin with a small metal tipped jacquard.  
I saw it performed on the streets of Patiala as well as watching a young woman apply her art to the hands of 


Navneet, and her niece the night before the ceremony. The process reminded me of cake decorating as a soft and flowing paste squeezed from the metal tip does much the same as frosting flowing from a tube. The artist performing Mehandi creates a series of dots, swirls and intricate patterns on the arms, palms and upper hands. 






The paste is then left to dry overnight and removed the following morning leaving behind the beautiful orange colored Mehandi pattern.  Unlike a tattoo, it is a temporary adornment which washes  off several days to a week later.                   

      That morning of Karva Chauta, I sat across the breakfast table from, Navneet, who abstained from solid foods in anticipation of the ceremony later that night.  There was enthusiasm in her voice as she reminded me of the much-anticipated fashion show later that afternoon.  She said I would witness Indian women doing what women the world over love to do and that is dress themselves up and strut their stuff.  



But in the meantime, I would have a preview of coming attractions with her and her niece in their parlor performance.

      





    


        Later at the country club—where I was cordially received and made to feel welcome--- I didn’t mind the fact that I was under-dressed in my long white skirt, simple blouse and silver adornments; I was too focused on the dazzling display that met my eyes as I entered the room full of women, livened by their brilliantly colored saris and ladies suits. 

     
      The sari consists of a midriff top and yards of fabric draped over the body in a variety of styles leaving a small amount of flesh exposed.  The suit is a knee length type dress under which is worn regular or balloon pants that gather tightly at the ankles. A long and wide accenting chiffon-like scarf draped over the shoulder hangs down at varying lengths.  Both styles feature bold colors and are worn in everyday life, the suit being the most widely used.  Under ordinary circumstances the women look beautiful, even to the peasant women in the rural villages dressed in their electrified colors; these weighty, hand beaded outfits were definitely not for street wear, reserved only for the most elegant of events.

     
        
       In short order, the fashion show/contest began.  One by one the contestants paraded down the aisle, one outfit more beautiful than the other; their gold body adornments shimmering in the light. 









I knew the minute I saw the stunning woman wearing the orange beaded gown that she was the winner, passing my vote of approval on to, Navneet.  









A photographer was snapping pictures as was I, the lady announcer lending her commentary.  That’s when I diverted my attention from the contestants and saw the magnificently adorned lady in her quiet, but elegant pose seated on the stage.

      




      My photography could hardly do justice to the event, but if you’re startled by what you see, then you can imagine the dazzling sight that met my gaze.

    

2 comments:

  1. Nanine, This was stunning! Your words and photos are beautiful! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at this photography and the beautiful women. I can tell I will enjoy reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete