Saturday, December 31, 2011

HOLIDAY GREETINGS FROM GERMANY'S RHINELAND

   
    
      HOW could I possibly tear myself away from the beauty of Baska Voda, the comfort of Scalinara, my Croatian friends and the Dalmatian coast? What to do?  Where to go?  Those were the questions I asked myself as the end of my allowed 90 day stay in Croatia drew near. 
     Don’t force it, it will happen in its own way, the voice within said. 
     And it did happen in its own way…via a Skype call.  “Come to Koblenz and live in our flat for three months,” Matthias, a long-time friend said one afternoon. 
    

Upon that invitation, and after much thought, I decided to bring in the New Year where the river's Rhein and Mosel meet.














Beautifully preserved castles hide in the forests.













And a vast expanse of vineyards spill down the steep hillsides. 
    







Here, amidst the beauty of Germany’s Rheinland, I will explore the 2000 year-old city of Koblenz, wander the streets of the beautifully preserved old villages and immerse myself in another culture, no doubt as fascinating, but vastly different than the one I just left.




XXX

     The German Wings flight was scheduled to leave the Split airport at 1:05, arriving at the Koln/Bonn, Germany, airport at 2:55, allowing me more than ample time to catch my 4:49 train arriving in Koblenz at 6:13 PM.  A well thought out plan.  Or so I thought. 
     With only five days remaining until Christmas, the airport terminal was jammed with holiday travelers. When the announcement came that the flight was going to be delayed by an hour and forty five minutes, the once-sedate passengers became disgruntled and loudly grumbled their objection.  Resigning myself to the fact that it was going to be a long day (little did I know how long) I settled back in my seat and watched the people around me dive into their stash of food. 
     In Koln I cleared customs and retrieved my suitcase; then, in a near- sprint, navigated the airport following the Deutsche Bahn train signs overhead to the integrated terminal.  Twenty minutes later I was standing on the train platform keeping my eyes on the sign that would announce the 5:49 to Koblenz. 
     You can set your watch by the train arrivals and departures in Germany, so when I saw the lights of the train emerging from the dark tunnel at precisely 5:49, I was more than ready to exit the cold terminal and enjoy the warmth of the train.  I waited until it came to a complete stop then walked passed the open doors of two cars loaded to capacity with passengers.  My suitcase?  Where to sit?  I proceeded to the next car, sizing up the healthy gap between the platform and the train, as well as the single step up.  I was just about to lift my suitcase onto the train when the doors shut in my face!  I pressed a button hoping the doors would re-open but got the “sorry you’re out of luck” look from a passenger staring at me through the door window.  Dumbfounded, I stood on the empty platform looking like a lost puppy, hours late, and concerned for my friends waiting at the Koblenz train station. 
     Lesson learned.  German trains are on time for a reason.  They don’t wait for passengers to make their car selection and maneuver their suitcase!  It’s hop on with about two minutes to do so or be left behind! Thank goodness I didn’t lift the suitcase into the train leaving it to make the journey without me.
     Staring at the empty train tracks, I was reminded of a similar situation that happened in Atlanta in 2007:  I exited the Marta train, holding fast to the handle of my suitcase.  The door abruptly closed on my arm holding me tight in its grip and leaving me trapped outside, my suitcase still inside. I was terrified, my arm throbbing with the pain, wondering if the door would re-open or the train drag me down the tracks.  The door didn’t open for several seconds.  When it did, I grabbed my suitcase, threw it onto the platform and flew on top of it, slamming my knees into the concrete; all of this to the amazement of everyone on the train staring at this shocking scene through the windows.
     Determined not to miss another train, I had my plan down as to how I would navigate the step up into the car while simultaneously lifting the suitcase-- which was better than half my height on its end, and weighing over 50 pounds.    At precisely 6:49, the train stopped.  Yea!  It was my train.  I would soon be on my way to Koblenz. The doors opened.  First in line, I grunted under the weight of my burden (no offer of help from the hefty, six-foot man behind me) lifting the case up and over the step where it landed with a loud thud inside the train, me attached and nearly catapulting over the top of it as the train lurched forward.  Admittedly, not too graceful an entrance!  Nor was their any applause from the spectating passengers!
      An hour and a half later the train made its final stop in Koblenz.  So as to avoid another near-gymnastic maneuver I stopped in the open doorway blocking it with my suitcase, leaving the man behind me little choice when I solicited his help.  Suitcase safely on the ground, I stepped into the cold night air, relieved to see Matthias waiting with a big smile.  It was 8:13 PM.  Nearly a twelve hour day from beginning to end for an hour and a half plane ride!
     If you’re thinking, why did she bring such a big and weighty suitcase?  The answer is simple.  Thanks to tight airport security, I was forced to put three months worth of winter clothes, shoes, boots and cosmetics in one bag as well as adding my computer bag to it at the station.  Inasmuch as the Bell’s palsy left me with vertigo, it’s a bit tricky working through the train/luggage scenarios! 
     If only I could video myself.  I’d make a great candidate for a television “Funniest Videos” show!  I have a good laugh every time I think about those train experiences!
     More soon about my new adventure in 2012.  Until then,
AUF WIEDERSEHEN.

    HAPPY HOLIDAYS FELLOW TRAVELERS
 AND BEST WISHES FOR THE NEW YEAR
  
And to quote the lyrics form one of my favorite songs:
MAY ALL YOUR STORMS BE WEATHERED.
MAY ALL THAT’S GOOD GET BETTER.
HERE’S TO LUCK!
HERE’S TO LIFE!
HERE'S TO LOVE!
HERE’S TO YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nanine,
    Lovely to read about your adventures on your Europe trip. If you need any help or advice for your stay in Trieste, I'd be pleased to help you, just drop me a line at trieste@cityselect-apartments.com. Looking forward to hearing back from you, Nadja

    ReplyDelete